Need for a National Academy of Engineers Stressed upon by Stakeholders
In a follow-up meeting on 6 May 2015 of an earlier International conference on "Developing the Roadmap on Engineering Qualification Standardization-Preparing Future Engineers for Sustainable Development in Asia-Pacific and ECO Region the stakeholders stressed upon need for establishment of National Academy of Engineers Pakistan.
An International conference on "Developing the Roadmap on Engineering Qualification Standardization-Preparing Future Engineers for Sustainable Development in Asia-Pacific and ECO Region was jointly organized by UNESCO, ECO Science Foundation (ECOSF), Pakistan Engineering Council and Federation of Engineering Institutions of Asia & the Pacific (FEIAP) on 9-10 January, 2015 in Islamabad- Pakistan. At the conclusion of the conference, six action points were agreed by the stakeholders and six working groups were formed against each action point. One action point with the title "Lifelong learning through a UNESCO Chair in Co-engineering for sustainable development across ECO countries with HQ in Pakistan" was voluntarily taken by Prof. Dr. Manzoor H. Soomro, President ECSOF as group leader.
Subsequently, the groups were assigned to submit their detailed technical studies on respective point. In this context, various follow up meetings of respective groups were held to finalize the final versions of their reports. The final follow-up meeting of all groups was held on 6th May 2015 to review the progress of the working groups for Standardization of Engineering Qualification. The meeting was attended by PEC, UNESCO, ECOSF, Engineering faculty members of various universities and industry representatives.
The stakeholders appreciated the level of efforts of each working group and quality of inputs. The following was concluded:
- All the inputs from working groups should be integrated into one document.
- The collated comprehensive report be subsequently converted into a project for establishment of a National Academy for Engineers.
- Proposal of National Academy for Engineers should be formulated with proper budget breakdown and be ready by the end of 2015.
- Malaysia is very much interested to work in Pakistan in this regard (Malaysian Fund Interest); thus the proposal so developed can be floated with Malaysian authorities in consultation with UNESCO for support.
- The mechanisms for funds/resources be mobilized /generated?
- Gender mainstreaming and UNESCO Chair in co-engineering for sustainable development be pursued.
- To support setting up of a "national standards organization" in Timor Leste (volunteer work).